Thursday, June 6, 2013

Argument 2 Respect Text

If people had the same morals then people could respect each other

To find this poem we started by searching "Respect Poems" in google. Mariana and Aleksi looked on one computer, and Emma and Paulios looked on one the other computer. Emma and Paulius found one poem but Mariana and Aleksi did not understand and even after a long discussion, they thought it did not go with the topic of respect. Then, Mariana and Aleksi found a poem and we discussed it and we first thought that is was too specific and we wanted more a challenge. We all, on one computer looked for poems just skimming them through. We found one other one but Emma and Mariana did not get it and thought it was way too broad. After that we closed the computer and discussed all the poems we found. We went one by one stating our opinion and listening to each others thoughts. We had two that we really liked and went back and forth discussing which one we thought was best. We liked the first one the most because it talked about all types of respect, which we thought was important.

The Good In Man

I respect, another mans religion, or color or creed.
I respect, and follow, the will of my maker.
I respect, the truth, no matter how unpopular.

I respect, a good work ethic.
I respect, the values on which this country was founded.
I respect, those who would champion the under privileged.
I respect, those of differences, who seek common ground.

I respect, the concept of monogamy.
I respect, those faithful to principal.
I respect, change, that is for the better.
I respect, an honest days work.

I respect, the great talents of the entertainment world.
I respect, thought provoking works, of the written word.
I respect, the unquenchable thirst of creativity.
I respect, the farmers and workers that toil in the field.

I respect, the good in man.
I respect, the virtue in woman.
I respect, the innocence of children.
I respect, the generosity of mankind.

Most of all...I respect the maker of
life and the love, that each of us
have within us.

© Joe Fazio 
We think this is a good poem for respect because it talks about all types of respect. It talks about respect towards each other, respect to nature etc. This poem shows that if everyone believes the things portrayed throughout the poem that our world can be a peaceful place. It also says that everyone has love and respect within them. We believe that if everyone had the same morals then their love and respect would show. Another thing is that we think this is trying to send us is that if we respect ourselves we can respect others. To bring this back to morality we believe that to achieve a peaceful place people have to respect each other and themselves. This poem portrays exactly that. Until people come to peace within themselves and torwards other people our definition of peace can not be achieved. However this peace has to come from within, and in order to achieve peace we have to have good morals. If people don't respect others, there will become groups in society and this not peace. Peace is when people are united and where people can be themselves and not be judged or have people disrespecting them.

2 comments:

  1. Mariana and I found this poem and explained to Aleksi and Paulius why we thought this related to our thesis statement. We all worked together on our analyzing part, we also shared ideas and discussed about this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the poem a lot and it was so specific, that I and the whole group wrote everything that is related to respect.

    ReplyDelete